Edmonton International Airport (EIA) continues to outperform the global air freight market. The volume of cargo increased by 8.3% in the EIA in 2013, six times the global average of 1.4%. EIA also reported its 15th consecutive quarter of growth of freight in Q4 2013, with total volume growing by 23% over the past four years.
Factors contributing to the growth of the cargo from the EIA in 2013 include:
- 11% increase in volume by pure cargo carriers FedEx, Cargojet, Purolator and DHL
- FedEx up-gauging daily service Edmonton – Memphis to a wide body Airbus A310 freighter in January 2013
- DHL’s up-gauging Edmonton – Cincinnati service to a widebody Boeing 767 cargo during the peak holiday season
- Cargojet doubling the frequency of flights during the peak holiday season
- 15% increase of volume by operators freight charters